Jewellery is very special to all of us. Be it our engagement ring or precious vintage jewellery we inherited from family members, jewellery holds a special place in our hearts. However, whatever the occasion may be, jewellery valuation is something that shouldn’t be ignored.
Accidents can happen anytime, and we cannot foresee the unexpected. This is why we have jewellery claims, home, and life insurances.
Why we need jewellery valuation?
The primary purpose that jewellery valuation serves is an insurance claim. To make an accurate claim for your jewellery, you need a professional valuer to examine and have formal documents of your jewellery appraisal. The appraisal needs to have each and every detail of why the jewellery is priced at that range.
This is the document you need to produce in case of misplaced or stolen jewellery.
Valuations for jewellery establish the fact that you owned an item. For antique jewellery, it is often very difficult to get the name of the owner as most old jewellery doesn’t have proper documents.
Although some insurance companies might not ask for valuation, it is always wise to get one, especially for bespoke or antique jewellery pieces.
It can be grouped for smaller pieces like diamond studs, and an overall value can be allocated. But if you own one-of-a-kind rare vintage diamond, we ask you to do an appraisal separately. This way, you will be safe from under-assessment in case of broken or lost item—trust us, these things happen more often than you think!
Some points to keep in mind during jewellery appraisal
It is always advisable to assess your valuables, both new and vintage, and opt for a valuation service from a reputed jewellery valuer. Some facts to keep in mind during the valuation process:
- Get the appraisal done by an expert during an insurance claim. It is your accountability as the owner to prove the worth of the piece. Look for valuers who have experience in gemmology.
- Get your valuer to provide you with a condition report as well. For example, rings often have loose stones or damaged claws. Insurance claims become more manageable with these documents.
- It is best to get jewellery valuation from stores in the same city. In case you are unable to find an efficient valuer, get it from online jewellery valuation services.
- People often mistake and assume that household insurance will cover jewellery. Most insurers will ask for valuable household items on the list.
- While getting a jewellery valuation, insist that your valuer provide you with a detailed report. Everything from weight, hallmark, dimensions, details of the stones should be included in the report.
Getting the correct level of insurance cover for your jewellery is always advisable. Understated value can have repercussions in the event of an insurance claim.
How to file a jewellery insurance claim?
Filing a jewellery insurance claim can be overwhelming. Usually, there are some steps that most insurance agencies in the U.K follow:
- Submit the claim or speak to the immediate agent about your problem. They will take the initial information, and most likely, a claim examiner will follow up to get the details and explain the whole process.
- The claim insurance agent gets an appointment with you and the jeweller to repair or replace your item.
- It is better for you to get a full background check before you appoint the jeweller with your piece of jewellery.
- After approving all the details of the replacement or repairing, the jeweller will start their work.
- Once you get satisfied with the work, the jeweller can file a bill.
What are the benefits of online jewellery claims?
There are so many benefits that jewellery claims online from an efficient brand like Prestige Valuation.
- Massive reduction in handling costs
- An accurate and consistent method
- Completely auditable process
- Reduction in claim cycle times
- Along with this, the whole process is done by experienced jewellers and efficient client managers.