Summary: This write-up covers the user query and describes the modern way to move domain from one Office 365 tenant to another. If you are seeking the same, then follow the step by step guide carefully to perform this operation without any error.
According to a recent survey, it was found that approximately 95% of business organizations were impacted negatively due to COVID – 19 lockdown. After the reopening several businesses have to suffer losses. And as, a result merger, acquisition, and divestiture activities grew at a massive rate.
Hence, the demand for data migration arose as well. Microsoft’s SaaS products hold the major market today. Hence, data migration within business became a headache, since Microsoft does offer any reliable or direct way to perform data transfer within the business.
Therefore, we are here to provide you with a reliable and secure solution to the most common user query i.e. “how to move domain between Office 365 tenants?” Let’s get into it!
It is a complex and technical process, hence, in order to help you with it, we will discuss the initial steps that a user needs to take before he starts with the migration process in O 365. Along with that, we will also discuss a professional tool that can greatly reduce the efforts and time in the process.
Initial Steps Before Moving Domain from One Office 365 Tenant to Another
- It is very important to ensure that the destination tenant has sufficient space to store the source data.
- Then you will need to create the source user accounts at the destination tenant. Create them before starting the data migration process, and provide the required licenses respectively.
- Keep end-users informed so they can prepare for these changes.
- Domain preparation should begin at least three days before the actual migration so that everything can be in place when the migration begins.
- Now, create a CSV file and list the mailboxes that need to be moved from the source domain to the target domain. It will help us while migrating in bulk through the software.
Now after following the above steps carefully now let’s talk about the reliable way to move domain from one Office 365 tenant to another
There manual method that involves the technical PowerShell scripts and for novice users, it becomes a tedious and error prone task to perform. Hence, many IT experts suggest using a reliable and professional Office 365 to Office 365 Mailbox Migration Tool.
Users can use this software to migrate their entire Office 365 user mailboxes. It comes with a built-in date filter that allows you to migrate data selectively based on a specific date range.
Software Steps to Move Domain Between Office 365 Tenants
- Download, Install and run the software on your computer. Then, select Office 365 as the Source and Destination migration platform.
- Under the “Workload Selection” screen, select the items you need to migrate such as email, contact, calendar, task, and document. You can even apply the Date filters according to your preference.
- Now, sign in using the source and destination O365 admin account credentials i.e. Admin Email and Application ID, and click on the validate button.
- For bulk user migration, create user group mapping choosing any of these three options such as Fetch Users, Import Users, and Download Template.
- Lastly, validate the mapping permissions, and then click on the Start Migration option to complete the process to move domain from one Office 365 tenant to another.
Disconnect the Domain from the Previous Tenant.
Once, moving Office 365 domain data onto another tenant is done. Now, we can remove the domain from the source tenant.
Follow the instructions below:
- From the Admin center, go to the Setting >> Domain page.
- Select the domain name from which you want to delete it.
- Select Remove from the right window.
After the domain’s removal, you must go to the next stage to connect the domain to another tenant respectively.
Assign a Domain to a New Tenant
Here we need to add a domain to our existing Office 365 subscription. Follow the below-given steps to accomplish this task safely.
- Navigate to the Administration Center. Browse to the Domains Page in Settings.
- Select the Add Domain option.
- Click Next after entering the domain name you want to add.
- From the drop-down box, choose “How you wish to verify that you own the domain.”
- Finally, we need to validate the domain.
- Determine how you want to implement the DNS changes required for Office to use your domain.
Here are Two Alternatives to Move Domain from One Office 365 Tenant to Another:
- Add the DNS records for me – If you want Office to configure your DNS automatically.
- I’ll add the DNS records myself – If you pick this option, DNS records have already been uploaded.
- Finally, press the Finish button.
Move Data from the same Office 365 Tenant to the Domain
Now it’s time to move data. However, first, create user mailboxes in the previous tenant’s Office 365 domain. Then, go to step 1 (Migrate Office 365 Domain Data to another Tenant) to migrate data from the current Office 365 tenant to the newly created domain.
We can easily migrate the Office 365 domain and user data to another tenant if we follow the above mentioned steps carefully.
Limited Period Free Demo
You can try this software for free, by downloading the demo version from the above link. Moreover, you can use the demo version to migrate two Office 365 user’s accounts without any hassle. And in this way, you can verify the working and the performance for the same. You will get free 24/7 tech support for any kind of technical complication that you face while performing the same operation.
When users try to Move domain between Office 365 tenants, it becomes a challenging task as we can judge from the article. As detailed above in the article, It also requires some preparations before the migration process.
Also, a professional tool has been described in this article, to tackle all the technicalities for performing this operation. Users are suggested to use the automated solution to ensure maximum data protection & integrity.